Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, February 24, 2014

Homemade Burger Buns and Crispy Handcut Fries


Holy hiatus.
I could give you the play by play as to why I haven't blogged in a while but I'll give you the Reader's Digest version.... We're pregnant!
Well, I am. My husband isn't.
We found out in October that we were expecting and shortly followed the morning sickness.  I could barely stomach opening up our fridge yet alone cooking AND blogging.
Here I am 5 months later and I'm ready to get back at it.

I know the stereotypical assumption is that us preggies can eat whatever the f*ck we want.
False.
Healthy babies = healthy eating habits during pregnancy.
I've been having my daily green smoothies, noshing on lean protein, and watching the sweets (sort of)- however there are some days were you just want a goddamn burger.
A juicy, meaty, cheesy, buttery burger.
This past Saturday was no exception.

"LAY OFF ME I'M STARVING!"

I went on the quest to make the ULTIMATE burger and fries combo.
No $1.00 10pk of burger buns from the supermarket here.
FRESH HOMEMADE BUNS AND FRESH HAND CUT FRIES

Join me on this journey to deliciousness.

For the buns I used Bakeaholic Mama's Recipe for Homemade Burger Buns/Bulky Rolls.
I did not have bread flour on hand this time around, so I substituted All Purpose Flour.  The buns turned out fine, but did not rise as much as they have in the past when using this recipe.  I'd recommend springing for the bread flour.  Plus having extra bread flour around isn't the worse thing in the world...more excuses to make yummy things! CAKE!
 


Hand Cut French Fries (2-3 servings):
  • 3 Idaho potatoes skin on
  • Peanut Oil (for frying)
  • Sea Salt
  1. Wash your potatoes free of dirt, and pat dry.
  2. Slice potatoes into 'fry' shapes by cutting the potato into 1/4 inch vertical slices and slicing again so they are the shape of fries.  You can also use a fry cutter if you are ever so fancy. I used my knife.
  3. Place potatoes in large bowl of cold water and place in fridge for 2-3 hours (this removes the access starch and will result in a crispier fry)
  4. Drain potatoes, lay in a single layer on paper towel and pat dry (make sure potatoes are dry, otherwise you will get a soggy mess!)
  5. In a deep fryer heat peanut oil to 300degrees  (if you don't have a fryer, fill dutch oven with 2in of peanut oil and heat to appropriate temp)
  6. Working in batches, place potatoes into the hot oil and cook for 4-5 minutes (do not brown- we are pre-frying the potatoes)
  7. Drain potatoes on dry paper towels until ready for the final fry.
  8. Crank up the oil so it heats to 375
  9. Working in batches again, fry potatoes until golden brown and crispy, draining off excess oil
  10. Place crispy fries in large bowl, sprinkle with sea salt while warm, and toss.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Follow Me on Pinterest